Vortex Viper HST Review – In-Depth Review with Pros & Cons
Viper HST 6-24x50 Second Focal Plane Riflescope
When shooting an AR or bolt gun, you need a rifle scope that can handle your shooting application no matter how you use them. This is where the Viper HST 6-24x50 Second Focal Plane Riflescope—VMR-1 (MRAD) is the best.
No matter if you find yourself perched on a tree stand or mountaintop it comes to your rescue. Nevertheless, what makes it the best? As the name applies HST, (Hunting Shooting Tactical) is a combination of the Viper HS and Viper PST, two of the most influential models in the Vortex range.
So why should you buy it for your next tactical engagement, target shooting, or hunting trip? The answer is plain and simple by reading the Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 MRAD Review here.
Build and Design of the Viper HST Riflescope
The Vortex Viper HS-T has a professional construction with the optical system providing you with versatility and performance with each shot you make. The rifle scope gives you extreme precision, heightened versatility, fast-target acquisition, and smooth operation.
If you want to pick a scope for 450 bushmaster, 6.5 creedmoor or AR15 then you can keep this scope in top of list of your choice.
Further, it has a generous four-inch eye relief at 6X and even good with a 3-inch eye relief at 24X. Hunters did mention it is a bit finicky when positioning your eye at the ocular lens at 24X as the exit pupil diameter is smaller.
However, the image remains clear without visible distortion at the edges. On the other hand, the VMR-1 reticle is not too busy and usable in most circumstance.
The crosshair offers you two types the MOA and MRAD and the turrets matched according to the nature of reticle you choose. Conversely, it is the “MOA/MOA” or “MIL/MIL” reticle/turret matching.
With the MIL/MIL, it directly correlates to the turret adjustments according to what you see through the optic. You can reset the turrets to zero and comes with a zero-stop system. There are small half-moon produced shims noticeable under the turret post with the cap removed.
Once the gaps filled and you have finished a long shot you can wind the turret down until it stops against the shims without looking at the turret. Now with a quick look at the turret you make sure it has returned to the initial load zero mark.
Therefore, if you are looking for a long-range engagement, we hope the Vortex Viper HST Review shows you that it is a worthwhile investment.
Additionally, the optics are top notch with the XR fully multi-coated lenses. The glass construction optimizes light transmission making it more visible for you to use in most lighting conditions. The multiple layers have an anti-reflective coating to prevent glare on the air-to-glass surfaces.
You can find the sides focus adjustments allows you to view a perfect image and helpful with parallax removal when shooting. The exterior is a single-piece 30mm tube constructed from aircraft-grade aluminum. Both the interior and exterior is shockproof to withstand anything outdoors.
Therefore, if you are still not convinced let us look closer at the key features to make it even more convincing.
Read more on - Do Scopes and Sights Work On Paintball Guns?
Vortex Viper HTS Specs
The Viper HTS optics is a premium rifle scope with outstanding features and specs.
- The rifle scopes have a fantastic optic construction comprising of an XR fully multi-coated lens and anti-reflective properties. You can use it in different lighting conditions without glare and offers you improved visibility.
- The lens has an extra-low dispersion to increase the color fidelity to view crisp images all the time.
- Has a side focus adjustment on viewing a perfect image with parallax removal when shooting.
- You get a single-piece 30mm tube made of aircraft-grade aluminum and shockproof against impact and recoil. All this made possible with the Armor TEK coating that protects the exterior of the lens.
- The scope is fog proof and waterproof with the O-ring seals to keep moisture out. Further, it has argon gas purging to prevent it from fogging up.
- You get the CRS (Customizable Rotational Stop) allowing you to return to zero once correcting elevation. The Precision-Force Spring System makes adjustments easy or you can use the Precision-Glide Erector System to make magnification adjustments.
- Included is a MAG-view fiber optic to make magnification reference points. There is a radius bar presenting you with a tactile reference point for the turret rotation as well.
- For fast and straightforward focusing, you get a fast focus eyepiece included.
- To protect the lens from the glare of the sun, it comes with a 4-inch sunshade.
- You get both MOA and MRAD subtended reticles with the diopter-style crosshair focus ring.
Pros and Cons
When using the Viper HST Second Focal Plane Riflescope, you get a durable construction with simple use. As with any product, it has its benefits and disadvantages.
- The dials are easy to read and offer a wide field of view
- Has a solid construction with intuitive adjustments
- The reticle is practical and uncluttered
- The turrets come with an audible click for quick tuning
- Offers you a generous eye relief
- The glass clarity is excellent
- The ranging is accurate
- Some users complained the magnification adjustment is stiff
- Comes with an expensive price tag
The Viper HST 6-24x50 Riflescope is perfect for hunting, shooting, and tactical use. With the all-around design, it excels with medium to long-range targets when you use it in different settings and will not let you down.
Further, you get a VIP warranty to repair or replace the optic free of charge. Whether you are an amateur or professional, you get a superb optic that does not suffer from low eye relief, and once you master the second focal plane reticle, you will not be disappointed with it.